How can you recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a deceased relative or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the answer is the same: your pre-owned hearing aids need to be donated rather than getting rid of.
There are several organizations that collect and circulate used hearing aids to individuals who need them, and there are many people who need them. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Consider Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
- Of the total population, about 14% have some kind of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from loss of hearing 91% percent are above 50 years old
- 15% of school-age children suffer from some type of hearing loss
- Hearing aids would benefit almost 29 million adults with hearing loss, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who require hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because health issues like mental decline, increased risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated loss of hearing. The value of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new research coming out regularly. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in certain instances even reverse them).
And the final persuasive fact is that hearing loss can cost the ordinary family $12,000 in earnings every single year. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
For a person in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your old hearing aids can have an enormous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and overall health. It might also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they can’t hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
There are lots of volunteer groups and manufacturers who help recycle old hearing aids. Come by and we can help you find a recycling strategy. Or give us a call.